Skip to main content

Can girls Code?

Learning to code – my journey

Like many of you I have gadgets with many APPs on them, they are fun, educational and helpful. Our use of technology has increasingly become a part of our everyday life. From the start of the day to the end of the day, we have various APPs to help us get through the day.

So what is an APP?
It is a software application that can be used on various devices such as: mobile phone, tablet, laptops and computers. They are designed to help your life – this can be in health, entertainment, communication and creating.

Some of that I have: Alarm, Exercise, Bible, Language and Facebook APPs and many more!


Source: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bestweatherfor.bibleoffline_pt_ra
Source: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.facebook.katana














Most of these APPs are part of my daily routine and I wondered what APP I could create to make my life easier. So I had an idea to create my own APP but didn’t know where or how to get started. I did a little bit of research and I found two possibilities:


1.   Hire and pay someone to build your APP.
2.  Learn how to build my own APP by learning how to code.


The first option sounds easy enough: find a professional, explain your idea to them, let them design and build your APP and finally get your final finished product. And there you have it – your very own APP. This is simple and can be very expensive, from £100s to £1000s depending on the complexity of the APP. 

For me that didn’t sound very appealing as I love to learn how things work and how they are made. Option two was the best one, as I can learn a new skill and find out exactly the process that goes into making one of these APPs.

Learning to Code: from the beginning.


  • I started by joining a local MeetUp group in Manchester: CodeUp.
  • I signed up to a free teach yourself coding website: Code Academy.


Image source: http://www.meetup.com/CodeUpMCR/photos/26283712/440081017/ By Claire D.

Joining a group is a great way to remain consistent. It is great to meet other people who are also learning to Code, at different levels so that they can inspire you.

The MeetUp group meets once a month and it helps me to keep going even though I can try to do it at home by myself, I can easily get distracted and lose dedication to learning. Going to the monthly MeetUp group makes me more accountable to myself to carryon learning.

I have been going for a few months now and I am learning a few coding languages that interest me.

A small but significant way I discovered that I am learning a lot was when I was able to fix a few minor problems with the format of my blog posts. I was so happy and proud of myself for understanding what was wrong and repairing it by writing parts of the html code myself.

Source: https://www.codecademy.com/


I will keep you updated with my progress every few months. And let you know if when I start building my very own APP!

So if you had to create your own APP what would it be?


As always love, comment and share!
Natalie-Claire  x



PS: Don't miss my next post - Subscribe to my blog & get a FREE guide to being more organised!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CodeGirl: The movie

Event: CodeGirl Movie Screening Venue: Co-operative Head Office, Angel Square. Manchester  On arrival, we were welcomed with a drinks reception and a guest pass to enter. The event began with an introduction from Danielle, one of the organisers [ Ladies of code ] and the tech director of our host The Co-operative Group.  They both focused on the importance of encouraging girls to get involved in tech and to start learning how to code from any age.  The Movie:  T he movie is more of a docu-film, it is about  an  international competition  for girls in high school to take part in. They have   to create an APP that solves a problem within their community. They have to design and code the APP themselves and present a video demo of how it works as part of the competition entry. 

How being Organised Enhances your Productivity

To be more organised you need to prioritise what is important to you. I prioritise tasks in order of importance - that way the important things get done first. Being organised helps you to: Be more focused Be calmer and in control Get things done Manage your time better When you are better organised you are able to be consistent and productive with your tasks. Two things that have helped me get started with being more organised are planning and having a diary. You can use your diary to schedule everything: work, appointments, business tasks, social events, networking, time with family and even your free time. I schedule everything in my diary because it gives me a clear visual representation of what I’m doing and when. Planning Planning is an effective way to guarantee that the things you want to do will get done. It helps you stay organised and productive. Some things to think about when planning: What are your current goals? What are your core values? What is important to you? (your

How to Plan and Schedule your week: Time Management

My personal development journey began when I got tired of always being late for most things. I couldn't seem to accurately measure how much time I needed for travel and getting ready - I always assumed that it wouldn't take me that long. And I hugely underestimated the unpredictability of public transport, hence the need to allow for extra delays. Last month I went live and spoke about the process I go through to plan and schedule my week. Instagram IGTV - Natalie-Claire: Life Coach Summary: Know your VALUES.  Look at your goals  - monthly, quarterly.  What are your priorities right now?   Your responsibilities.  Top Tips Set a day to plan your week (e.g: Sunday evening) Theme your days Meal plan  Plan your outfits Take time out for your self-care: physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Having a clear plan is all about knowing what you want and what you value.  Subscribe and get a free Goal Tracker and a 50% off code for T